Blog Header Text

For questions you can contact Adam at: adamchartley "at" gmail "dot" com or Jason at: jasoncppk "at" yahoo "dot" co "dot" uk

Monday 1 October 2012

This morning I had the sad news that Laurence Thornton had peacefully passed away after a short illness.
Although I had known Laurence for only a few years, many of Oxford's leading birders would have known him from the days of their early youth when I understand Laurence was involved with RSPB trips.

When I first got to know him he was regularly doing the Thames on the south side of Oxford noting the increase in Cettis Warblers as they began to spread along the river. Mostly he would travel on his bicycle or with his wife driving, only learning to drive and buying a car just a few years ago when his wife died.
I birded Farmoor with him on several occasions and would meet him on the odd lunch hour as I walked through the covered market in Oxford , where he would park his bicycle, always he was full of enthusiasm and a joy to talk to.
Laurence will no longer need his bicycle , I'm sure, now having been equipped with a more suitable mode of transport with which to continue his birding.

Keith Clack


I remember Laurence fondly from the RSPB coach trips of the late 1980's.
Always enthusiastic about the birds he loved and was engaging and
welcoming to all those who shared his passion.
Laurence inspired and encouraged a generation of young Oxon birders
all of whom are still birding today.
Thank you Laurence.

Jason


No comments:

Post a Comment