Blog Header Text

For questions you can contact Adam at: adamchartley "at" gmail "dot" com or Jason at: jasoncppk "at" yahoo "dot" co "dot" uk

Monday 29 December 2014

Grimsbury Reservoir: 29th December

Grimsbury Reservoir
2 Chiffchaff: One typical collybita and one that is 'different', both seen well together to make comparisons of plumage and call. The 'different' bird was paler and greyer, almost white below and grey-brown above, none of the warm buff colouring and only a bit of yellow plumage on the wing that I could see. The 'different' bird didn't call while I was watching it but after it recently flew out of view I did here some 'peeep' type calls, obviously different to the standard 'huueet'.

Banbury: Spital Farm Lake
4 Chiffchaff: 4 at least.

Gareth Blockley

2 comments:

  1. "Almost white below" sounds like one at the paler end of the spectrum of variation. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say 'almost white' that may partly be an exaggeration and partly due to the bright light this morning. It was definitely a lot lighter than the collybita underneath and didn't have the nice rich buff flanks.
    I'm going to have to attempt some photos I think!

    ReplyDelete